Hungarian language is particularly rich in sayings and proverbs. Almost all of us can remember some, so why not share them with each other? Please send me one (or more) with English explanation and I will put it to this page with your name and/or e-mail address. You can share your memories, too. Please do not send anything racisist, hate messages or such things. If the proverbs have word-by-word (WBW) and general (G) meanings I publish both. To start, I put some well-known proverbs here and some sayings to the
1. Ki mint veti ágyát, úgy alussza álmát.
WBW : You will sleep as you make your bad.
G: You will get what you are preparing for (what you deserve)
2. Addig jár a korsó a kútra, amig el nem törik.
WBW. If the pitcher goes to the weel often, finally it brakes.
G: If you constantly take the risk, you will finally be in trouble.
3. Hamarabb utolérni a hazug embert, mint a sánta kutyát.
G: It is easier to catch a liar than a lame dog.
4. Ki a kicsit nem becsüli, a nagyot nem érdemli.
G: If you don't cherish the little, you don't deserve the more..
5. Ki mint vet úgy arat.
G: We reap as we sow.
6. Ne fesd az ördögöt a falra, mert megjelenik.
WBW. If you draw the devil to the wall, it will appear..
G: If you talk of the devil it will appear.
7. Aki korpa közé keveredik azt megeszik a disznók.
WBW. Who gets mixed up with bran will be eaten by pigs.
G: Gather thistles expect pickles, evil communications corrupt good manners